UPDATED MARCH 18, 2020 – This event has been postponed.
Faith in Arts: An Exploration of the Intersections of Art, Faith, and Spirit
May 13-17, 2020
The Faith in Arts Institute is presented by UNC Asheville and Black Mountain College Museum + Arts Center with support from the Center for Jewish Studies at UNC Asheville, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UNC Asheville, a grant for the humanities from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Henry Luce Foundation as part of their Theology Responsive Grant program, the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society, Bob and Carol Deutsch, and the Asheville Jewish Community Center.
Join us for four days of workshops, artist talks, readings, performances, exhibitions, contemplative practice and conversation.
- World premiere of Waves and Particles, a new composition by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer John Luther Adams, performed by the JACK Quartet
- Opening of an exhibition on John Cage and Buddhism
- Mandala and midrash-making workshops
- Facilitation of interfaith dialogue through objects: a workshop on curating personal objects contributed by institute participants
- Talks on religion and art in the 21st century and sacred art in secular places as well as secular art in sacred places
- I hunger for you, directed and choreographed by Guggenheim recipient Kimberly Bartosik
- Deep listening, beholding, phrase, and embodied contemplative practices
The registration fee for the Faith in Arts Institute is $500. On-campus lodging is available in UNC Asheville’s newest apartment-style residential complex, The Woods, for an additional $350 for four nights.
Members of UNC Asheville’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) and Black Mountain College Museum + Arts Center can attend the Institute for a discounted rate of $225. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to request the discount code to apply at registration.
A limited number of scholarships for emerging artists and scholars are available. Scholarships cover the cost of registration, lodging, and up to $600 in travel expenses. To apply for a scholarship, please send a letter explaining your interest in the institute as well as a recent C.V. to email@example.com. Requests for scholarships should be submitted by Feb. 15, 2020.